Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Jagged Cartilage Causing Pain and Reduced Moblity in Elbow

CherryGardens - Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 am

In 2004 I required an elbow arthroscopy to remove a loose fragment of bone. The surgery was successful, however, approximately 1 year later, I began to experience the same symptoms; reduced mobility, pain, tingling. I had an MRI scan which showed that I have damaged cartilage with jagged edges that can catch on the joint causing the pain. I am now experiencing the same pains again which have lasted for about a week. Is this caused by the jagged catilage and if so, is this sporadic pain something I just have to live with? I am reluctant to leave this unchecked as I was told that bone can crystallize and a loose fragment will only grow larger and larger. Thank you for your help.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:03 pm

It sounds like you have been diagnosed with osteochondritis dissicans (OCD) which can caused loose bodies in the elbow.
The symptoms you describe sound like a re-occurence of OCD in which case conservative treatment (analgesics, physical therapy, range of motions, ice/heat packs) is the first option. If pain and dysfunction continue then another scope may be required.

Best bet is to discuss your treatment options with the orthopedist.