Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lump in the lower spine

aeydownlow - Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:11 am

I suddenly touched my husbands spine and noticed a lump. It's scaring me what could this be, he doesn't seemed bothered. The lump is hard and unnoticeable until you touch. It doesn't move and its about 1 and half inch. Please tell me what this could be in really worried.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 pm

A lump which is hard and doesn't move should be evaluated by a physician. It is seems to be in the skin, then an excisional biopsy may be needed.

If it seems deeper than the skin, then imaging the area with x-ray or CT scan would be needed.

Without examining the area it is difficult to give a diagnosis therefore it is important to see a physician.

Indeed a hard immobile nodule is more concerning than a soft mobile lesion.

Take care and let us know how it goes.