Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lump in the lower spine

 aeydownlow - Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:11 am

I suddenly touched my husbands spine and noticed a lump. It's scaring me what could this be, he doesn't seemed bothered. The lump is hard and unnoticeable until you touch. It doesn't move and its about 1 and half inch. Please tell me what this could be in really worried.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 pm

User avatar Hello,
A lump which is hard and doesn't move should be evaluated by a physician. It is seems to be in the skin, then an excisional biopsy may be needed.

If it seems deeper than the skin, then imaging the area with x-ray or CT scan would be needed.

Without examining the area it is difficult to give a diagnosis therefore it is important to see a physician.

Indeed a hard immobile nodule is more concerning than a soft mobile lesion.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us