Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: dislocated knee cap

 Kazzab - Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi I wonder if anyone could give me some advice. I dislocated my knee cap a couple of weeks back, and the doctor says that I might have a tear in my cartilidge, but what is happening now is that my big toe on my sore leg keeps going numb, where I am sitting or walking, and also I am getting sharp pains through my heal, which I presume is because I am transfering the weight, but I am conserned about the numbness and sharp pains. If someone could help I would appreciate it.

 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri May 01, 2009 12:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes, the numbness and pain in the big toe would need to be evaluated by a physician because this could be a problem with the foot itself, the ankle, knee, hip or lumbar spine.
You are correct to think that the change in weight bearing of the affected leg could cause the pain however the numbness is a neurological sign rather than a joint or tendon problem.
Certainly swelling from an injured knee could compromise a nerve or set of nerves.
Thirdly, lumbar issues which could be exaccerbated by trauma or by change in gait patterns can cause toe numbness.
So a thorough history and physical are needed at this time to determine the exact cause.

Take care and let us know how things go.
 Kazzab - Sat May 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Thank you so much Tom... ohh I maybe should not have started back work so quickly, I will make an appointment with the doctor and let you know the outcome, Thank you for your help ! :)
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 07, 2009 4:00 pm

User avatar You are welcome.
Let us know how things turn out.
 Kazzab - Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:40 am

Hi Tom

The hospital send me for a MRI scan, and it showed up that I have a torn Crutiate ligament and torn cartilidge. They said I would have to go for physiotheraphy, but a possibility that I will have to go for reconstructive surgery where they take a piece of my hamstring and repair the tears, with a 3 month recovery afterwards!! I had my accident over 2 months ago and go bck to see my surgeon next Thursday.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us