Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: severe rib pain associated with being hit by a car

 carebear02 - Sat May 02, 2009 3:45 pm

So I was hit by a car as a pedestrian this past Monday. I was hit on the right side of my body and "flown" about 10-15 feet down the road. I was taken to the hospital where they did ct scans and xrays.. nothing broken. At the time, I didn't have any pain in my stomach/rib area. Now, the pain is so severe in my lower right rib area, I can barely walk/lay down, etc. The pain just started about 2 days ago and has gotten pretty unbearable. I know they did xrays of my elbow (hit the pavement first upon impact), but I don't know if they did xrays of my ribs (they did all of the xrays on the right side). I think they were also a little wary becuase there's a chance I could be pregnant.. (also a big cause of concern for the well-being of a potential fetus.). So I guess my question is, is it possible for my ribs to just be bruised (no visible bruises on the skin) or should I ask for additional xrays be done? Thank you and I appreciate any and all opinions/information provided!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed May 13, 2009 11:29 am

User avatar Hello,
I am sorry to hear about your accident. From the sounds of your story the outcome could have been much worse.

It will be important to see your physician to evaluate the right side and examine the belly. It will also be good to check on the status of pregnancy because abdominal pain in a female may also be caused from a failed pregnancy.

Yes, the ribs can be bruised. Xrays should reveal fractures and injury to the lung.

Again, ask to see your physician ASAP for a complete history and physical of your symptoms.

Take care.
 roadsideromeo - Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:54 pm

I was met with an accident with bike,after 1 month of the incident ,i have pain in myribs, during sleeping i have pain on the side of ribs on which i lay down, consulted an orthopadeic, he gave some medicine the time upto which i was taking medicine it went fine ,now the pain arises again.done my x-ray but it was found ok.i just don't want to take pain relief anymore,also when i use warm on the ribs it gives some comfort for acouple of time.i just want to get rid of this completly.pls do reply.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us