Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: I fell playing tennis

brazenwisdom - Mon May 04, 2009 2:58 am

I fell really hard playing tennis exactly 2 weeks ago and I scraped just below my knee to the right. A day later it was black and blue and swollen. A week ago I noticed that the inside of my ankle hurts to the touch and the arch of my foot was also black and blue. Today I have black and blue marks down my leg and the top of my foot hurts too. The area where I scraped is swollen bad, and I feel a knot. The swelling is about two inches wide, it itches like crazy and the area is hot. When I push it in, it leaves dimples in my skin. I'm so afraid because I didn't go to the doctor. Do I need to worry? Please write back soon. I don't have insurance, but I've been told to go to the ER room ASAP. I'm going in the morning, well in a few hours.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:25 pm

User avatar Hello,
I agree with the suggestion to see a physician who will evaluate the scraped site for infection and order an needed treatment.

The bruising down the leg is typical for a pulled muscle or traumatized tissue in the leg where bruising and swelling tend to work downward toward the foot.

Often, an x-ray is needed to rule out fracture in the painful swollen part but depends on the type of injury and its location. I would be surprised if there were any fractures with this type of injury.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us