Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Spinal Injection during Herpes/Cold Sore infection

StillStanding - Thu May 07, 2009 11:55 am

Hello, I am scheduled to have a Cervical Spine injection tomorrow, under anesthesia, but yesterday I broke out with a cold sore. I already know of the risks of a receiving a spinal injection during a skin infection such as a boil, and the potential danger of transferring the infection into the spinal cord (meningitis). By tomorrow morning, I have to make a decision about whether it's safe to go forward with the injection while I have an active herpes simplex infection with a blister on my lip. I did consult both my doctor and my pharmacist, and was told it is safe to start my Acyclovir 800mg twice a day, which I did as of yesterday afternoon. I realize that the rest of my life could be affected if I make the wrong decision. I am very grateful for your assistance.
~StillStanding
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:06 pm

There may be a risk of the herpes virus causing more symptoms with a spinal area corticosteroid injection but I do not know of a risk of seeding the spinal area with herpes from a local injection - given the cold sore is on the mouth.

To be sure, you may wait a week allowing the herpes to settle down then have the injection.