Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Spinal Injection during Herpes/Cold Sore infection

StillStanding - Thu May 07, 2009 11:55 am

Hello, I am scheduled to have a Cervical Spine injection tomorrow, under anesthesia, but yesterday I broke out with a cold sore. I already know of the risks of a receiving a spinal injection during a skin infection such as a boil, and the potential danger of transferring the infection into the spinal cord (meningitis). By tomorrow morning, I have to make a decision about whether it's safe to go forward with the injection while I have an active herpes simplex infection with a blister on my lip. I did consult both my doctor and my pharmacist, and was told it is safe to start my Acyclovir 800mg twice a day, which I did as of yesterday afternoon. I realize that the rest of my life could be affected if I make the wrong decision. I am very grateful for your assistance.
~StillStanding
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:06 pm

User avatar Hello,
There may be a risk of the herpes virus causing more symptoms with a spinal area corticosteroid injection but I do not know of a risk of seeding the spinal area with herpes from a local injection - given the cold sore is on the mouth.

To be sure, you may wait a week allowing the herpes to settle down then have the injection.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us