Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: need advice asap

 moomom - Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:37 am

im a 36 yr old female, with degenerative arthritis of my lower spine. this has only manifested itself as sore back, and 2 episodes of sciatica on the right side. the sciatica only lasted about 5 days each time before. now, on jan 8th i noticed my "hip" going out- thats what i call it because it makes my right hip poke out, by the 10th, i was in severe pain.couldn't walk, sit ,lay anything was painful. went to urgent care, was told i had sciatica, gave prednasone, muscle relaxers and tylox. 9 days later went to my primary care doc(only saw him 1 time before- new doc) he did a mobility test-leg pushed up to head, by the next day i could not move again. 4 days later went back to urgent care, did xrays, doc said that there was something moving around that should be attached to tailbone? gave pain shot/antiinfammetory shot, sent home with vicoden, mri ordered for 2 days later. did mri, still waiting for results. the pain i am experiencing is horrible. i can not function much longer in this state. i can't concentrate, i'm snapping at everybody, i've tried heating pads, ice, sleeping in a recliner, everything i can think of, and nothings helping. the doc. i have doesn't seem concerned, or doesn't grasp the severity of the pain. i also feel when i stand, that something has to go into place before i can fully stand with weight on my right leg. please any advice will be appreciated. also, what type of doc is best for this problem? thank you
 Dr. A. Saif - Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:29 am

User avatar Hi moomom,

Hmm, toughiee...At a guess I would say that you have progressive scoliosis, which is a curvature of the spine, possibly brought about by the degenerative arthritis in you back. This makes you walk tilted, and gives the appearance of one hip being more prominant than the other. I am not sure what is meant by " something moving around that should be attached to tailbone", but again at a guess I would suggest that you may have spondylolisthesis. This again can be due to degenerative spinal disease. Essentially on vertebra in your lower back slides forward on another. The lowermost luimbar vertebra (L5) sits on top of sacrum(S1). The sacrum is not technically your tail bone but I guess it is possible that this is what is meant.

Both scoliosis and spondylolisthesis may reflect the instability in your spine. Both can cause or aggravate sciatica. Both can be painful by themselves. While both may be a result of degeneartive disease, other causes need to be evaluated. Treatment depends on the cause of pain, and various therapeutic options range from physio, corsets, upto surgery.

But as I say this just a guess from your description...I would suggest a visit to your friendly neighbourhood spinal surgeon might be in order


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us