Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Is It Time For Bunion Removal Surgery??

cetbball - Sun May 10, 2009 9:34 pm

I have bunions on both of my feet. They give me pain on a scale of 10, their a 7. My big toe has moved under my 2nd toe on both feet. I run track and play basketball and after practice or meets or games they hurt even worse than on a regular night. I have used separators but they cause me more pain than leaving them alone. Should I go to the doctor about them? Could it be time for surgery? What type of surgery would I most likely need? Should I go to a podiatrist or an orthopedist?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:01 am

Because the great toe has moved under the second toe and is causing pain and greater pain after activity corrective surgery (bunionectomy) is a consideration.

I would pick an orthopedist who specializes in feet or a podiatrist who has done the procedure often. The main point in selecting either is whether or not they have done the bunionectomy procedure often and successfully.

At your visit, they should describe the procedure along with the risks and benefits. Be aware that once corrected the bunion problem may return after a few years.