Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: SHIN BONE INJURY. 2 YEARS. NEED HELP.

nick87 - Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 pm

So I have had an injury in my left shin bone for about 2 years now, which resulted from me being drunk and angry one night and kicking a metal telephone pole, which offcourse i regret and feel like a moron, but after seeing several doctors and having xrays they still don't know what is the problem? The pain has gone down alot but i still get pain and at training I cant kick the bags because it hurts, ( i am into martial arts). So after two years the pain has subsided but still hurts when i put pressure on it, it feels as if i have the chipped or mushed the bone down and i get pain sometimes around my ankle bottom of the foot or along the side of the shinbone, and its like a peicing pain, but i only get this pain if i kick on it or receive hard kicks to the shin bone, or sometimes when its cold or after running.
so what doctor should I be looking for that specialises in this sort of area?? I have accepeted the fact that it may never heal and its to late, but I would still like to know what is wrong with it. Thanks in advance.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:05 am

Obviously the trauma to the tibia has caused lasting pain. X-rays were negative but I would consider a bone scan to see if there are any hidden fractures.

This may give you some clearer direction about how to handle the injury - more or less aggressive rehabilitation.

This leg area may always be sensitive to pressure or the trauma of kick boxing however there is a chance for healing and rehab.

Start with bone scan and go from there (with counsel from your physician or orthopedist).

All the best to you.
 nick87 - Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Hey, thanks for reply.

I have done a ultra sound on the bone and came up as nothing? is that the same thing as a bone scan ? where do I bone scans if its different ?