Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: K-wire removal time frame.

gutz03 - Wed May 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Hey,

I was in an accident almost two weeks ago. I fractured my left hand and had an open fracture on my right third digit.

Had surgery that same night and had k-wires put in, both in the hand and the finger.
I was supposed to see the doctor today but couldn't make it. With my appointment being a week from now it will be almost 3 weeks post op.

My question being, how long after the operation do they usually remove the wires? I'm hoping it won't be too late.

Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:45 pm

User avatar Hello,

The cast should come off in 3 weeks and when the k wires are pulled depends on the healing of the fracture sites 3-6 weeks.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us