Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: K-wire removal time frame.

gutz03 - Wed May 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Hey,

I was in an accident almost two weeks ago. I fractured my left hand and had an open fracture on my right third digit.

Had surgery that same night and had k-wires put in, both in the hand and the finger.
I was supposed to see the doctor today but couldn't make it. With my appointment being a week from now it will be almost 3 weeks post op.

My question being, how long after the operation do they usually remove the wires? I'm hoping it won't be too late.

Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:45 pm

The cast should come off in 3 weeks and when the k wires are pulled depends on the healing of the fracture sites 3-6 weeks.