Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Long term undefined immobility

 runski - Fri May 22, 2009 5:42 pm

It started in 2005:
numbness in right foot
sun damage and mild skin cancers
Right hip pain causing immobility
undefined polyartritis
rapid weight loss
pancreatic tumours which self healed
lower limb ulcers - pyoderma gangrenosium diagnosed
Cutuneous vascilitis

There is no definitive diagnosis yet. I lead an active life up to 2006, daily exercise, walking, cycling, tennis and I have been immobile for the past three years.

Can you please help or even advise where I might locate a doctor or team of doctors that take on unusual or difficult cases. I live in ireland but am prepared to travel.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:15 am

User avatar Hello,
There is a lot going on and I am sorry to hear that you have been immobile for the past 3 years.

I would start addresses these issues with a long visit at your family physician. He will be the one who will make the necessary referrals to the specialists and keep all the consultations on record in one place in your chart.

The most important concern at this point is the sudden (and I assume unintentional) weight loss with history of pancreatic tumors. Your family physician should take an extensive history including a review of the different body systems and perhaps a bone scan or CT scan of chest and abdomen to make sure there are no signs of tumors or cancer.

The polyarthritis and vasculitis can be addressed initially with the family physician with some basic rheumatology testing (blood work: CBC, sed rate, CRP, ANA, RF, anti-CCP).

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us