Question: Fractured wrist, jarred while in cast

naf - Sat May 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi, I broke my wrist (radius, simple fracture) 13 days ago. Today I had an experience that resulted in me reacting reflexively and jerking my arm away suddenly and violently. I am experiencing a mild, dull pain in the fractured area. Would incidents such as this affect the healing to any noticeable degree, or am I just being paranoid? And am I safe to assume that anything that could cause the bone to shift at this point would result in strong, sharp pain (similar to the pain of the initial break)?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:29 pm

I would expect if the bone shifted from the jerking motion swelling would increase and you would feel pressure mounting in the cast.

Nevertheless, if this is a concern to you and want to know the status of the fracture consult the orthopedist who may want to x-ray it.