Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Herniated/Ruptured Discs In Lower Lumbar Region

 rachelkatz - Tue May 26, 2009 2:32 pm

For a month and a half now, my boyfriend has been suffering from SEVERE, stabbing pain, which started after a long drive in the car. It wasn't as painful at first, but has gradually gotten worse over time. It does not go away, and is causing some SERIOUS problems in every aspect!

He began seeing an orthopedic doctor approximately 3 1/2 weeks ago. First, an X-ray was taken--and came back fine. It was another 2 weeks before the doctor finally even prescribed him an MRI, and in between he had to visit the Emergency Room. He's been diagnosed with 2 ruptured discs (maybe herniated, whichever "leaks" the fluids from spine) and the doctor says the liquid is spilling onto a nerve (not the sciatic). In the past 3 1/2 weeks, he's been prescribed 7 or 8 different medications--4 different pain killers, anti-inflamatories and muscle relaxers--and not ONE has worked ... Nor, has the combination of several together.

He hasn't slept for more than 2-3 hours a night in about 2 weeks, now. It hurts him to sit, stand, or lay down. The pain--which is in his right "cheek", not his back--has now shot down his entire leg, to the heel of his foot. He says his whole leg is numb to the touch, but that he CAN feel the pain. His bowel movements have slowed to about once a week and his urinations have become hard to control.

The doctor--a real !@$#%^&%, if you ask me--has now told him he needs Physical Therapy. HOW WILL THIS HELP A MAN WHO IS IN EXCRUTIATING PAIN EVERYTIME HE MOVES??? Can someone please explain this to me??? My boyfriend was in the army for 12 years and has broken more bones in his body than humanly possible ... He's no wuss when it comes to pain, so I know this is serious. He says 'the doctor knows what he's talking about', but I keep insisting he get a second opinion. (MEN!) If Physical Therapy IS the answer, how long will it take him to stop hurting? Is surgery safe? Are there faster methods that aren't very risky? Someone please help ...
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
With all of these symptoms, consult a neurosurgeon and most physical therapists would not touch this.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us