Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: ACL tear w/no insurance

 msuechting - Fri May 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Well here's the thing. I tore my ACL and do not have insurance. My credit is screwed from the bills and I cannot afford the surgery. Some times I'm in so much pain that I can't even walk. If I put weight on it wrong, sleep on it wrong, or get up wrong it pops out of place and then I'm pretty much immobile for most of the day. I have been getting pills like vicodin and oxycotin from my grandmother who just went through the same surgery I need. They work great and I can fully function. Is there any way to get surgery with no insurance in Sacramento, California or at least is there anyway I could get these meds without paying insane fees from hospitals or doctors?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:41 pm

User avatar Hello,
ACL injuries do not always need to be repaired. If you can decrease the swelling and pain and give it some time (causing no further trauma which may include wearing a brace), then you can start strengthening the quads and hamstrings which will act as an active stabilizers of the knee.

Prescription medicine especially narcotics should never be shared with others. Possession of narcotics without a prescription is against the law. This is said with boldness as a general statement because there is a big problem with prescription narcotic abuse (including sales and sharing).

For pain relief, use NSAIDs, ice, Ace wrap to control swelling and stiffness. If you need prescription pain meds, see your physician.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us