Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: How to tream a bad muscle pull (over the knee)

Bati9 - Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Hello. I was a soccer player at age 14-17 and stopped playing for 20 years. Today I'm 37 and wanted to start playing again. I am not in a good shape, I know that, but I did start jogging 2-3 times a week for 25 min and my body seemed to handle it fine.

The first time I went to play I was very stressed and it was cold outside - in the warm-up I pulled a muscle. It was a pretty bad pull, the muscle above the knee. I couldn't walk at all, and when i came back home I put ice on it. The next day I woke up in a better shape (surprisingly, for me since most of my injuries seemed to be worse the next day) - better shape meaning I could walk, but obviously very sore.

Its been almost 2 weeks, and I still feel it - it still hurts.

My question - I heard that moderate activity of the muscle could help heal it. But I wasn't sure if i'll start jogging, will i make more harm. Should I just let time do its magic? Or maybe there's some cream or medication I can take to help it go away? I haven't asked my doctor yet since I felt a bit silly asking for an appointment over a pulled muscle.
Any help would be appreciated.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:05 pm

I am sorry to hear about your injury. Good to hear it wasn't more than a pulled muscles.
Nevertheless, take some steps to provide healing and return to sport.
1. Use a mix of Aspercreme (contains salicylic) and a menthol cream (e.g. Icy/Hot or Flex-All 454). Massage the cream into the muscle and apply a moist heat pack.
2. Gentle stretch the quadricep.
3. Before returning to jogging, walk at a brisk pace for 25 minutes (the same time spent jogging) for 1 week. If no soreness or problem then do some light running but cut the time by 75% and build slowly.

Also, some NSAIDs should help with pain and inflammation.

If all else fails, it never hurts to see your family physician (unless of course they give you a shot!)