Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: How to tream a bad muscle pull (over the knee)

Bati9 - Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Hello. I was a soccer player at age 14-17 and stopped playing for 20 years. Today I'm 37 and wanted to start playing again. I am not in a good shape, I know that, but I did start jogging 2-3 times a week for 25 min and my body seemed to handle it fine.

The first time I went to play I was very stressed and it was cold outside - in the warm-up I pulled a muscle. It was a pretty bad pull, the muscle above the knee. I couldn't walk at all, and when i came back home I put ice on it. The next day I woke up in a better shape (surprisingly, for me since most of my injuries seemed to be worse the next day) - better shape meaning I could walk, but obviously very sore.

Its been almost 2 weeks, and I still feel it - it still hurts.

My question - I heard that moderate activity of the muscle could help heal it. But I wasn't sure if i'll start jogging, will i make more harm. Should I just let time do its magic? Or maybe there's some cream or medication I can take to help it go away? I haven't asked my doctor yet since I felt a bit silly asking for an appointment over a pulled muscle.
Any help would be appreciated.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am sorry to hear about your injury. Good to hear it wasn't more than a pulled muscles.
Nevertheless, take some steps to provide healing and return to sport.
1. Use a mix of Aspercreme (contains salicylic) and a menthol cream (e.g. Icy/Hot or Flex-All 454). Massage the cream into the muscle and apply a moist heat pack.
2. Gentle stretch the quadricep.
3. Before returning to jogging, walk at a brisk pace for 25 minutes (the same time spent jogging) for 1 week. If no soreness or problem then do some light running but cut the time by 75% and build slowly.

Also, some NSAIDs should help with pain and inflammation.

If all else fails, it never hurts to see your family physician (unless of course they give you a shot!)

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us