Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Hi iam having lower spine probs and numbness in thighs

Diligent - Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi iam having a lot of lower back pain in lumbar cocxy region have had this for years but since i lost my balance n hurt my knee i fell over the dog rolled onto r leg and have since been having numbess that has happened while sitting for half an hour both thighs and back i got up and like all lower half of my body wasnt their ie numbness then tingling after a while then when sat again today lower back numb i got up to go to loo and still had numbness for 15mins this is annoying especially as i had probs before this happened numbness tingling muscle spasms loss of balance when walking like being drunk.

I have said this to doc but he just thinks i have back problem how iam i going to get this evaluated to see whats the cause.

Thankyou diligent.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:27 pm

User avatar Hello Irene,
The numbness in the legs after sitting on the loo or in a regular chair for long periods of time is a normal event for many people without back problems.

What is of concern is the loss of balance and quickening of the numbness with sitting. I would be suspect of nerve involvement in the lumbar spine. You may even check the cervical spine as stenosis there can cause loss of balance.

The next step would be an MRI of the lumbar spine and perhaps cervical spine which can be ordered through your family physician.