Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Quadricep Pull/Tear?

 artender - Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:00 am

I was diving into a pool-After walking a few steps I planted my feet on the board with pretty strong impact hoping to get off a fairly high dive. After I pushed down elevated, I heard a slight pop and then felt pain. I had ACL surgery 2 years ago, and was worried I tore it again. However, the pain is not as severe and there is no swelling. Also, there is no knee pain on the knee, below the knee or to the left or right. I also have full motion when I bend the knee. The pain is above the knee and slightly to the left. When I walk there is pain and it doesn't "feel right" If it helps to know, my patella tendon was used for the surgery.

Is this possibly a torn quad muscle? If so what is the best treatment and would swimming still be ok to do?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
If the pain is localized to above the knee and above the patella, this is probably a quadricep sprain/strain. Whether the muscle is actually torn is a matter of degrees - some fibers may be overstretched but for the muscle to be completely torn or ruptured is very rare.
Nevertheless, for a strain or partially torn quadricep, treatment is initially rest, ice, compression and elevation and NSAID.
After 72 hours, switch to heat and gentle stretching. Return to activity as tolerated.

For certain, see a physician for an accurate diagnosis.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us