Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Low back pain and anus pain

Bethminthorn - Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:01 pm

Im a 29 year old female and I hurt my back at work about seven years ago. I have been living with lower back pain ever since, This August I reinjured my back and i went to a neuro surgeon who ordered an MRI. The MRI showed a huge disc herniation in the L5-S1 region. The pain that I experiecne is not only in my lower back but in my tail bone and I get pain in my butt and numbness in both legs and feet from time to time. However, Just recently when I get my period I experince severe pain in my anus which is bothersome when I strain to go the bathroom and when I try to sit. I was wondering if this is normal, when you have a herinaition in this area of your back. By the way I will be having microdisc surgery as soon as I get approved from workers compensation.

Thank you,
Beth
 Kathy C, RN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:05 pm

Hi beth
The pain you describe can be from your injury. My family member had a similar injury and going to the bathroom was quite uncomfortable as well as sitting. I wish you luck with your surgery and hope you are pain free soon.
 ld3340 - Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:04 pm

I am sorry to hear of your trouble. I am a 43 year old male. was injured at work. I fell down some steps and landed directly on my left cheek. Primary diagnosis was herniated L45. Two days after I noticed pain after poopin. This was not any ordinary pain. It was the most you could ever imagine coming from that place. I asked my Doc, he said maybe the vicadin stiffened the stool, but it didnt. I went to a GP, and was checked. He was not able to even check the anal cavity because of the pain. His diag: A common every day fissure. A dry crack in the lining or wall of the anus. There wer a few treatment options, some had dangers of eating away at the lining. Nitro was one that was referred quite often. I used Tucks pads, and layed on the couch with tears down my face. It's kinna wierd, it didnt hurt while going, or, for about 5 minutes after, but then it was the most painful thing I ever had. No pain killers would touch it. It lasted 1 month, all I used was a iced cloth, aspirin and tucks. I was very careful not to lift. Just when I could no longer take it, it went away. So good luck, and with something that painful I would still see a Doc about it in case it's something else.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us