Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broke Wrist Can't See a Doctor

 deesugar - Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:06 pm

I broke my wrist, I know because it has a deformity. I can move my fingers a little. I'm stuck in the mountains where I won't be able to see a doctor for a few days. I'm worried that it will heal misshapen. Other then icing it what should I do and how bad will it be that I can't see a Dr for a few days?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
A broken bone that is deformed or displaced needs attention as soon as possible.

The risk of not realigning the bone are compromise of the blood vessels and nerve supply to the wrist or hand. And the risk of non union may increase.

If there is any skin abrasion or cut in the skin near the fracture, you must get an antibiotic to prevent infection of the bone.

Take care and get medical attention ASAP.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us