Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Broke Wrist Can't See a Doctor

deesugar - Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:06 pm

I broke my wrist, I know because it has a deformity. I can move my fingers a little. I'm stuck in the mountains where I won't be able to see a doctor for a few days. I'm worried that it will heal misshapen. Other then icing it what should I do and how bad will it be that I can't see a Dr for a few days?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:53 pm

A broken bone that is deformed or displaced needs attention as soon as possible.

The risk of not realigning the bone are compromise of the blood vessels and nerve supply to the wrist or hand. And the risk of non union may increase.

If there is any skin abrasion or cut in the skin near the fracture, you must get an antibiotic to prevent infection of the bone.

Take care and get medical attention ASAP.