Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: broken fibula surgery swelling

attradies - Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi
I broke my fibula and severly dislocated my ankle feb 22 2009. I had surgery to correct the problem a plate and seven screws later. it has been about 6 months now and my ankle swells up like Im trying to hide a baseball in my sock. When I wake up in the morning it is a normal size but thru the day it gradually swells up I was wondering if this is normal or should I be concerned. For example I went fishing today sitting in my chair my ankle swelled up, i didn't have any weight on it. Everyone tells me that this is not normal and I should see the Dr. I have no pain except ocassionally when I turn wrong and it reminds me that it was broke. The swelling itself is not painful the ankle isnt painful I walk around alright its everyone elses concern that has me concerned.
Thanks in advance for any answers
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:17 pm

Swelling the size of a baseball with activity in an ankle which was fractured 7 months ago would warrant seeing a doctor and an x-ray. If the x-ray look good then swelling should be managed with compression stocking.