Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Injured Finger in March- Still Swollen w/ Pain and Redness

emmin8r - Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:32 pm

I injured my right ring finger in March while running and trying to catch a football coming from behind me.. not sure exactly what happened, and didn't know I had hurt it until after the play was over? I have not had health insurance for a while. (job loss, can't afford the COBRA payments... same old story.) I really couldn't afford an x-ray, and as I have broken fingers before, I assumed I would just need the typical rest, ice, NSAIDS, tape to other finger etc. I thought it was going to be fine, but the overall healing process seemed to get about half way back to normal, and then stopped? I still have pretty significant pain in the proximal inter-phalangeal joint (I believe that's right- had to look that up) and there is a slightly larger bump than before on the top of the knuckle, toward the outside of my hand. The skin over that bump is consistently red, or appears extremely "stretched" when I bend the finger. The finger is SIGNIFICANTLY swollen from the base to above that knuckle, and still won't bend all the way to a fist... Also cannot get it to align flush with middle finger when making a palm (!?) and I cannot fit any of my rings on that finger from before. The tip of the finger consistently turns 100% numb if I do anything like writing or sewing, and while this may have nothing to do with it, the finger nail appears to be turning a very odd shape.. it seems to be getting much flatter and wider?

Does this sound like something that could be a potential problem, or should I just hang in there? I know these things take a while to heal, but I'm just nervous that the healing process appears to have come to a standstill, and it has been over 6 months now!?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:17 pm

You may have a non healed fracture in the finger and should get an x-ray to rule out fracture.