Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Injured Finger in March- Still Swollen w/ Pain and Redness

emmin8r - Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:32 pm

I injured my right ring finger in March while running and trying to catch a football coming from behind me.. not sure exactly what happened, and didn't know I had hurt it until after the play was over? I have not had health insurance for a while. (job loss, can't afford the COBRA payments... same old story.) I really couldn't afford an x-ray, and as I have broken fingers before, I assumed I would just need the typical rest, ice, NSAIDS, tape to other finger etc. I thought it was going to be fine, but the overall healing process seemed to get about half way back to normal, and then stopped? I still have pretty significant pain in the proximal inter-phalangeal joint (I believe that's right- had to look that up) and there is a slightly larger bump than before on the top of the knuckle, toward the outside of my hand. The skin over that bump is consistently red, or appears extremely "stretched" when I bend the finger. The finger is SIGNIFICANTLY swollen from the base to above that knuckle, and still won't bend all the way to a fist... Also cannot get it to align flush with middle finger when making a palm (!?) and I cannot fit any of my rings on that finger from before. The tip of the finger consistently turns 100% numb if I do anything like writing or sewing, and while this may have nothing to do with it, the finger nail appears to be turning a very odd shape.. it seems to be getting much flatter and wider?

Does this sound like something that could be a potential problem, or should I just hang in there? I know these things take a while to heal, but I'm just nervous that the healing process appears to have come to a standstill, and it has been over 6 months now!?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
You may have a non healed fracture in the finger and should get an x-ray to rule out fracture.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us