Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: spine prob during rehearsal?

starlette - Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:59 pm

Yesterday I went to our high school's dance rehearsal for our upcoming musical. I was tired, but I danced anyway; as I was doing a spin in the air, I think my body spun faster than my head and neck - the next thing I knew, my tongue and eyelids were really heavy, and while I could still keep my eyelids open, I couldn't move my tongue at all. The music seemed to suddenly get really soft and on the back of my neck I sensed pain even though I couldn't really feel it. After what seemed like half a minute, my neck and tongue tingled back to life, but my neck had become stiff. By the time rehearsal was done a few minutes later, the stiffness was gone. I'm not sure why, but I completely forgot about it until the memory of it woke me up this morning. My mom thinks I might've shifted one of my discs and possibly paralyzed myself for a few moments from the neck up. That kinda makes sense, but how much truth is in her explanation? (p.s: I think I explain all this better on my website, on the most recent entry) Thanks in advance!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:56 am

User avatar Hi starlette,
You may have twisted your body in such a way that one of the muscles or nerves in your neck was temporaily compressed. If a vertabrae or disc is "slipped or herniated" I would expect the pain or numbness to persist.