Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: spine prob during rehearsal?

starlette - Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:59 pm

Yesterday I went to our high school's dance rehearsal for our upcoming musical. I was tired, but I danced anyway; as I was doing a spin in the air, I think my body spun faster than my head and neck - the next thing I knew, my tongue and eyelids were really heavy, and while I could still keep my eyelids open, I couldn't move my tongue at all. The music seemed to suddenly get really soft and on the back of my neck I sensed pain even though I couldn't really feel it. After what seemed like half a minute, my neck and tongue tingled back to life, but my neck had become stiff. By the time rehearsal was done a few minutes later, the stiffness was gone. I'm not sure why, but I completely forgot about it until the memory of it woke me up this morning. My mom thinks I might've shifted one of my discs and possibly paralyzed myself for a few moments from the neck up. That kinda makes sense, but how much truth is in her explanation? (p.s: I think I explain all this better on my website, on the most recent entry) Thanks in advance!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:56 am

User avatar Hi starlette,
You may have twisted your body in such a way that one of the muscles or nerves in your neck was temporaily compressed. If a vertabrae or disc is "slipped or herniated" I would expect the pain or numbness to persist.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us