Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: crooked toe

missmarymiss - Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:27 pm

About 3 weeks ago I started getting a pain at the base of my second toe (ball of the foot). Last week my toe started to shift towards the big toe. It's worst when I walk but it's always bent now. No swelling and no redness. Looks like the Vulcan "live long an prosper" sign.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is hard to tell what is causing the deformity. Two possibilities perhaps three. First, the intrinsic muscles could be weak. Second, a bony abnormality or tumor could be growing between the toes. Third, a Morton's neuroma could be developing.

My first step would be to get in to see the physician for physical exam. The Morton's neuroma would be painful to palpation. An x-ray would be indicated as well.

Actually, a fourth possibility is the most probable. Check the mobility of the 1st ray (long bone of the 1st toe) to see if it is mobility. A hypermobile first ray may cause the second digit to move over. This would show up on x-ray...and over time you may see a bunion develop on the first toe.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us