Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Bruised or fractured rib

Cosmetologist1015 - Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:48 pm

I recently suffered a trauma to my chest & I'm wondering if I should go get it checked out or not. I was walking next to my car with my hands full, trying not to drop anything. I somehow slammed my right side under my breast into my side-view mirrior. Heard no cracking that I can recall. It was a very hard hit & it knocked the wind out of me & I couldn't catch my breath for a while. Got in bed that night & could barely move. Got up the next morning & there was no bruise like expected, but the area that I hit is EXTREMELY tender to the touch & I am having some slight discomfort breathing. I know there is really nothing that can be done about the rib but I just needed to know if I should make a trip to the dr's office or if I'm better off just taking Tylonal & icing it untill the pain goes away. I am currently on day 2 after the injury & still cannot catch my breath & having a very hard time sleeping but have pretty intense fatigue & am in pretty intense pain. Thanks.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
With trauma to the rib cage and difficulty breathing, it is a must to have the area evaluated by a physician including a chest x-ray. X-ray helps rule out pneumothorax (punctured lung) and rib x-ray. Plus, the physician will prescribe the appropriate amount of pain medicine.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us