Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Bruised or fractured rib

 Cosmetologist1015 - Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:48 pm

I recently suffered a trauma to my chest & I'm wondering if I should go get it checked out or not. I was walking next to my car with my hands full, trying not to drop anything. I somehow slammed my right side under my breast into my side-view mirrior. Heard no cracking that I can recall. It was a very hard hit & it knocked the wind out of me & I couldn't catch my breath for a while. Got in bed that night & could barely move. Got up the next morning & there was no bruise like expected, but the area that I hit is EXTREMELY tender to the touch & I am having some slight discomfort breathing. I know there is really nothing that can be done about the rib but I just needed to know if I should make a trip to the dr's office or if I'm better off just taking Tylonal & icing it untill the pain goes away. I am currently on day 2 after the injury & still cannot catch my breath & having a very hard time sleeping but have pretty intense fatigue & am in pretty intense pain. Thanks.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
With trauma to the rib cage and difficulty breathing, it is a must to have the area evaluated by a physician including a chest x-ray. X-ray helps rule out pneumothorax (punctured lung) and rib x-ray. Plus, the physician will prescribe the appropriate amount of pain medicine.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us