Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Finger Swollen and Bruised from Basketball

 Sarah92 - Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:33 am

When playing with a basketball one evening, a friend bounce-passed a ball fairly hard to me, but instead of catching it, the ball hit the underside of my littlest finger on my left hand and I could feel it bending too far backwards. It was painful when it happedned and for the rest of the day I couldn't really use it, lean on it or anything as it hurt.

The following morning most of the underside of my finger (and the area slightly below) had turned bluish/purple/grey nearly up to the tip and the back part has bruised a bit on the joint area. Also my finger has swelled up a bit.
I can still move my finger a little forwards and backwards but I can hardly bend it.

It's been nearly 2 days and it's pretty much the same, I don't know what's happened to my finger and was wondering if it is either nothing to worry about and it will heal properly by itself or could it be anything serious that it's worth getting it checked out?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:37 pm

User avatar Hello,
The little finger has been sprained and should heal with time. The discoloration is bruising and will decrease with time. For the next few days, buddy taping the 4th and 5th digits together will splint and protect the injured finger. Afterward, start gentle motion.
If the finger worsens or does not improve, see a physician.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us