Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: 7 year old finger laceration very painful

zach667 - Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:19 pm

so i cut the inside of my right pinkie finger about 7 years ago i can bend up and down but not tip

its becoming very painful to the point where i cant exercise it just causes to much pain

please tell me what i should do?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:47 pm

User avatar Hello,
You may find some benefit from having a physician examine the finger and take an x-ray.
It is important that the bones are aligned well, no fractures, and the joints in the fingers are not arthritic so x-ray is important.

Regarding treatment for poor range of motion and pain in a digit (non fracture), an occupational therapist can assist you in restoring normal hand and finger function.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us