Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: History of Herrington rods 14 yrs ago,numness in limbs now

sweetipy82 - Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:42 am

I had severe scoliosis x 14 yrs ago, I had surgery and 2 herrington rods were placed. Spine doc. said they never really fused , but if there not moving alot or causing pain,that it was ok. Ive experience migranes with white aura x 11 years, only lasting 20 min, I am now 27 yrs old, recently after having migranes, numbness in my limbs radiating up my neckand into lips and tounge sometimes. Never last more than 10 min? What could be causing the numbness?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:06 pm

The numbness in the lips could be caused from hyperventilation however it sounds like it starts in the limbs and works its way up the neck to the tongue and lips.

Also, this is not a usual pattern of nerve disorder from a neck problem.

The mouth numbness is probably a part of the aura that coincides with the migraine.