Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Carticel procedure

spill - Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:33 pm

I have been suffering from ongoing pain in my right knee now for a year. I am currently 25 and very active (running 25-30 miles a week). Back in 1/09 I was diagnosed with a stress fracture of the medial tibial plateau after my first MRI. A second MRI in 4/09 showed that the stress fracture was healed. Due to ongoing pain, catching and popping my orthopod finally agreed to do arthroscopy on 9/3/09. Much to his surprise (but not mine) he found a tear in the articular cartilage on the medial femoral condoyle. The lesion was grade 3/4 and measured 16mm x 20mm. He woke me up during the procedure to ask me if I would prefer he do a microfracture procedure or the Carticel procedure. Knowing nothing about either, I left the decision up to him and he decided that he thought Carticel would be the better choice. I have done my research about the procedure, and am currently waiting on insurance pre-approval, but would like to hear any input from others who have had experience with this procedure, either patients or doctors. Successes, failures, difficulties, recovery? Is it possible to make a full recovery?

Also, I can't seem to get a straight answer about whether or not it is safe to run on my knee in the meantime. It is healing from the arthroscopy (four weeks out) quite well with just a little swelling remaining and less pain than before the procedure. I don't want to cause further damage, but if it is possible to get some running in before the Carticel procedure, I would like to get some variety rather than biking every day.

Thanks!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would hold on the running. Non impact aerobic exercise at this point is the best way to keep your fitness level up.
I would also do some open chain leg strengthening i.e. straight leg raising with ankle weights to maintain strength prior to surgery.
I have known runners who have continued running after chondral defect repair but not specifically for the Carticel procedure.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us