Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Neglected Valgus of Hindfoot - Now I'm 23 - What to do?

Dr Haisook - Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:41 am

Hello Dr.,

I was born with a valgus deformity of the left hindfoot. My parents noticed it when I was a kid, but they thought it was nothing abnormal since I had been an active athlete and never had any complaints from it.

Now I'm 23, and I've been suffering from vague foot pain/tingling for 2 years. It's evident when I walk and even when I'm sitting down. I got a custom-made orthoses, good sturdy shoes, but I still feel this pain and tingling when I'm sitting. I've had EMGs and Nerve conduction studies, and they were all normal. The orthopedic doctor who examined me said I had a 'severe' valgus deformity of my hind foot.

So my question is, would surgery be a good choice for me at this age? I'm just starting my career, and this problem is extremely distracting and annoying.

I'd appreciate your help.
Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:25 pm

It sounds like you have tried all the conservative measures and surgery may be the best option.
The orthopedic surgeon can discuss the procedure with the risks and benefits.