Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Groin and Hip PAin

bionic50 - Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:46 am

After experiencing severe lower back pain, I was diagnosed with DJD of the lumbar spine. Not long afterwards, I began experiencing right groin and hip pain. Sometimes there would be swelling in the groin area. Upon visiting the doctor, this pain was autmatically attributed to my back. No x-rays of the hip region were taken. Over the years the pain in my groin became increasingly worse. The x-rays showed advanced endstage arthritic change with loss of joint space and I was told I needed a hip replacement. Could the condition of my hip be related to the degeneration in my spine, or could the groin pain I began experiencing have been from the onset of osteoarthritis. Also, can osteoarthritis be detected without the use of imaging?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
Lumbar degeneration can refer pain to the hip and groin...but so can osteoarthritis (OA) of the hip.
X-ray of the hip joint can reveal OA - whether mild or severe.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us