Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Groin and Hip PAin

bionic50 - Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:46 am

After experiencing severe lower back pain, I was diagnosed with DJD of the lumbar spine. Not long afterwards, I began experiencing right groin and hip pain. Sometimes there would be swelling in the groin area. Upon visiting the doctor, this pain was autmatically attributed to my back. No x-rays of the hip region were taken. Over the years the pain in my groin became increasingly worse. The x-rays showed advanced endstage arthritic change with loss of joint space and I was told I needed a hip replacement. Could the condition of my hip be related to the degeneration in my spine, or could the groin pain I began experiencing have been from the onset of osteoarthritis. Also, can osteoarthritis be detected without the use of imaging?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Lumbar degeneration can refer pain to the hip and groin...but so can osteoarthritis (OA) of the hip.
X-ray of the hip joint can reveal OA - whether mild or severe.