Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Back pains and spasm's

 Miamush - Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:53 am

I often get spasm's that feel as though I have a electric surge going from my head to my feet and I shudder violently when it happens. I have constant back, neck and knee pains and all of my joints click. My back gets sore and very painful. I went for an MRI on my right knee but nothing came up apart from some bruising. I have migranes and tension headaches and weakness and lack of energy. Also dizziness and sometimes feeling faint. My joints sometimes dislocate and are all bruised. My joints click badly now and if i don't click them they lock or seize up and it's very painful. I have seen an Orthopedic and had Phisiotherapy before but that was for my knees. Sometimes when I stand up or bend over I nearly fall over from dizziness and the feeling blood has rushed to my head. I don't know if most of this is of any use but I thought I should say everything. My father has a fused disk in his spine that used to be a herniated disk although I don't think it has anything to do with my problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
With all of those symptoms: Headache, dizziness, imbalance, migraines, electric sensation from head to toes, joint clicking and locking -

I would have the family physician do a complete history and physical (H/P).

Lab work should include: CBC, thyroid (TSH), rheumatoid factor, ANA, sed rate, CRP.
You may also require an EKG or other testing depending on H/P.

You will need to make sure there are not other system (heart, endocrine, immune) problems besides the musculoskeletal issues.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us