Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: pain in ribs while sleeping as a result of an accident

roadsideromeo - Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:10 pm

I was met with an accident 3 month ago, now i have pain in my ribs while sleeping on the side on which i lay down,and it become difficult for me to sleep, consulted a doctor,and done my x-ray nothing found.was taking medicine prescribed by the doctor til that everything was fine but as soon i left te medicine it arises again. when i used to use warm water it gives relief for a while.but the problem still persist,don't want to use pain relief.so pls give me asuitable advice to get rid of this completly.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:19 pm

User avatar Hello,
You may be suffering from an intercostal (between the ribs) sprain.
Moist heat packs and NSAIDs should help. You may also have a chiropractor, osteopath or physical therapist check the ribs themselves to correct any rib which may be out of place.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us