Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken nose as a child bothering me as an adult

 kaykay43 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi =)

My nose was broken as a child (unfortunately I was a victim of abuse by my father). I did not receive medical attention at the time, nor did I know it was broken. I am 25 years old now, and it is obvious my nose was broken -- it is noticably crooked, and I constantly have a pressure under one of my eyes and a dull headache originating in that area. When I put pressure on my nose in the opposite direction it appears to be broken, the pressure lifts immediately and the headache is clear (pretty much the only time I am ever without a headache completely). I am at a point in my life now where I do not want to live with this any more; I want this taken care of. I can't afford big medical bills at the moment, but I do have Medicaid. I do NOT want my face changed at all (as in plastic surgery); I just want it to be the way it is "supposed" to be, and mainly the chronic headache and pressure to be gone.
I have no idea where I need to go or whom I need to see to help me with this problem. Since my insurance is not the best, I am a little worried about the quality of care I will receive. I wanted to ask a doctor, what should my route of action be to take care of this issue? What kind of doctor should I see, etc.?
Thank you so much=)
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
The benefits of fixing the nose seem to outweigh the risks.
A place to start is with your family physician who can refer you to an Ear, Nose and Throat physician (one who take your insurance) for an evaluation and to discuss treatment options.
This should be a correctable problem and bring you improved quality of life.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us