Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: When is collarbone broken vs. bruised

slazinger_7 - Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:58 pm

I fell on my shoulder Sunday afternoon playing soccer - it was pretty painful, but it didn't cause me to exit the game. At halftime I noticed it was sore and I iced a bump along my clavicle. I proceeded to play the second half. My shoulder was very sore that night and I had limited movement/flexibility. The bump is along the clavicle near near the AC joint and was fairly noticeable (you could definitely feel). I continued to ice on/off 20-30 min the rest of Sunday. It was stiff Monday morning and the bump was still there, but the soreness gradually went away throughout the day. I iced it again after work Monday night and it felt very good on Tuesday (most of my range of motion was back - only certain movements like pulling tape from a dispenser caused discomfort). It also looked like the swelling was down. So I decided to play soccer Tuesday evening w/ some discomfort, but not enough to stop playing. Today it is sore again and it seems like the bump is bigger. The bone itself feels connected/consistent (compared to my other should/clavicle), except for the bump. I can press on the bump with some discomfort, but not excruciating pain. I would think if it were broken, I would be in a lot of paint (and wouldn't be able to play soccer). I haven't really noticed any bruising 3 days later. I had a friend who broke his collarbone in high school (almost through the skin) and he was in tears until they numbed it - so maybe I am being paranoid. Should this be the case? Or is it possible the bone is just bruised?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:30 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would x-ray the shoulder and AC joint and clavicle to see if there is a clavicle fracture and view the AC joint for dislocation.
It probably is a minor AC sprain or dislocation and will resolve with rest, analgesics, ice and gradual return to activity...but have a physician take a look at it for a correct diagnosis.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us