Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Swelling in Lower Leg after ACL Surgery

kdenkers - Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:55 pm

So back in the beginning of Sept I was dismounting my horse and my left knee popped and I fell to the ground. Ambulance ride, xrays, mri, and doc visits, I tore my acl. 9/30 I had my cad. graft... things were going great, I was making great progress, and this monday i returned to work without a brace or crutches. Under orders to be careful, move around but do not under any circumstances over do it. Anyway. Monday came and went with very little swelling or pain.. I was tired of course.. but that was to be expected. Tuesday came and by mid afternoon my calf, foot and ankle where 3 or 4x the size and hard.. and most likely warm.. but you know how it is when you feel yourself for being hot/warm... anyway, my pants were skin tight on me, and I was afraid my sneakers were going to the audible POP when I took it off.. so I iced, elevated and the swelling went down over night.. not all the way mind you but it did go down considerably. So I called my doc this morning when I got into the office and left a VM for the nurse... she called me back and told me to go and get a ultra sound done to r/o blood clots. The results came back neg... for the clot which is great.. but then again, I have no idea why I am still swollen, hard and warm... I have an apt on Friday.. but being inpatient, I want to know what is going on.. not be in pain anymore and get back to being normal.

Please can someone help?
Thanks
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:30 pm

User avatar Hello,
The swelling in the lower leg could be from a couple of things.
1. The knee can be the source and the swelling has moved downward from the knee. I would expect however the knee itself to swell too and increase in soreness.
2. The ankle or calf area has an inflammatory condition - too much activity for tissue that has been underworked for several months.
3. Deep vein thrombosis: ultrasound is negative however.

In any case, your physician will evaluate the limb and get a clearer idea of the cause.
Easy does it until then.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us