Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Broken Clavicle not healing after 3.5 Weeks.

Imaging_user - Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:38 pm

I broke my right clavicle on 10/11/09. It was a clean break at the end close to the shoulder. I have been wearing a sling as prescribed by my doctor but after 3 weeks he said it is not healing. He downplayed the situation letting me know that sometime with this type of break it does not heal with bone, but instead may heal with fibers. He said to continue to wear the sling and come back in three weeks. I am a little worried about this diagnosis mainly because out of all my research I have yet to see any information on a nonunion clavicle healing not with bone, but with fiber.
Please advise me with some information so that I can better understand what is going on. This is the same doctor that preformed surgery on the same shoulder on Feb 12, 2009 for a level 5 separation. What does it mean to heal with fiber instead of bone?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Most people with distal or lateral clavicle fractures do well. Even in those whom the bone does not heal (non union), long term and without surgery - 80% are assymptomatic.
So waiting another 3 weeks is par for the course.
Fiber bridge vs calcification means the connection between the bone is not complete.