Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken Ankle Surgery- too soon for some weight bearing?

Leethe - Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:49 pm

I had a bimalleolar fracture surgery (1 plate 6 screws) last week on 10/29/09 and was told by that surgeon I would be on crutches and in the plaster cast at least 6 weeks before I can start walking. However, I moved and had to see a different surgeon and was told I can come back next week to get the cast removed and placed in a boot and that I am healing well and can start putting some weight on my foot. I tried putting a little bit of weight but I start to feel pain so I stop. Is this normal? Everything I have been reading goes against putting weight on the injury so early so I don't want to interfere with the healing process by putting weight on it now.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
No weight for 6 weeks would be my recommendation.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us