Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Broken Ankle Surgery- too soon for some weight bearing?

Leethe - Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:49 pm

I had a bimalleolar fracture surgery (1 plate 6 screws) last week on 10/29/09 and was told by that surgeon I would be on crutches and in the plaster cast at least 6 weeks before I can start walking. However, I moved and had to see a different surgeon and was told I can come back next week to get the cast removed and placed in a boot and that I am healing well and can start putting some weight on my foot. I tried putting a little bit of weight but I start to feel pain so I stop. Is this normal? Everything I have been reading goes against putting weight on the injury so early so I don't want to interfere with the healing process by putting weight on it now.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:05 pm

No weight for 6 weeks would be my recommendation.