Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Advice about a broken nose.

 Acrobat - Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:33 pm

Hiya, i broke my nose a year ago and now it has an ugly looking bump in the middle.

I read somewhere on the internet that after some rhinoplasty that some surgeons suggest pressing the nose to help it to get narrow in the right place etc.. but that didnt really help. Infact it made it swell a bit so looked a bit worse.

Can you suggest any way of me helping lessen the bump in it? I have an appointment at the hospital but its not until September (long waiting list!) and im not even sure they will help without making me pay thousands (i like in the UK so its either free or expensive). They may help because it was an injury but im not too confident.

Anyway i was wondering if i should continue trying with the pressure to see if it lessens the bump?

Also, is there any way of me knowing if the lump is just swelling that could be drained with a needle? It feels sorta soft when i press it and doesnt feel like bone is sticking out. It woud take alot of my mind if i knew they could maybe just drain it.

Sorry if this sounds vain but it really ruined my face and makes me look quite ugly especially from a side profile and its making me pretty depressed and self conscious :(

Any help desperatly welcome
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:21 am

User avatar Hi Acrobat,
If the area on your nose is firm, it's likely that's where calcium deposited to heal the fractured area. Pressing on in will not help and will only irritate the area and make it more sore. I know of no procedure other than surgical intervention to correct this problem.
 Acrobat - Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:32 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.

It is quite firm so i think im stuck with the bump unless i get a Rhinoplasty :( I just have to hope my hospital can do it soon and don't mess it up
 naughty - Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:30 am

hey doctor i had undergone a rhinoplasty in 2008 which had been stopped as per the doctors there was continuous bleeding for 15 minutes now the problem my face has got a bit uneven what it can be for is it because of the rhinoplasty i can send u the pictures and u can have a look and let me knw if its k with u i just wanted to confirm is it because of the surgery
 corriest123 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:12 pm

About seven years or so, when I was 11 years old I had a car door slammed on my nose. Ever since, my nose has a noticable bump. I am extremely self concious about this and desperately want to get it corrected, preferably without invasive surgery. I read about a procedure called closed reduction in which a doctor breaks the nose and realigns it. However, I am not sure whether I can get this done so many years after the incident. If it is still possible for me to undergo closed reduction, please let me know how to go about it, and please give me some advice on what I should do to correct my problem.

Thank-You :)
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:57 am

User avatar Hello,
Regarding the rhinoplasty, I do not know if the shape of the nose is due to the surgery or not. I can only suggest that you talk to the surgeon who did the procedure and see what the further options are to correct the problem if it is affecting your daily living.

Regarding the closed reduction to straighten the nose, usually the reduction is done post trauma. So,at this point, the question is would we correct the deformity for cosmetic reasons or to allow better breathing or prevention of sinus infections. An ear,nose and throat doctor can evaluate the nose and nasal cavity to determine the best next step.

All the best to both of you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us