Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: back pain/car accident

felicity - Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:02 pm

i was recently in a car accident and went to the emergency room due to the pain in my back and neck, they took x-rays and the doctor came and told me i have a smooshed virtabrea does anyone know what that means, is my back broken or what, please help

thank you sincerely
felicity
 drgreghaitz - Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:41 pm

User avatar It sounds like you have a compression fracture of one of the vertebral bones in your back. This type of fracture is commonly a stable fracture which will heal up on its own. Occasionally it can cause some neurological compromise. If the ER released you with no other follow-up medical recommendations, you should consider seeing a doctor of chiropractic. Chiropractic adjustments can help with car accident related back pain and many chiropractors have low-force techniques they can use with your type of injury. Dr. Haitz

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us