Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Upper Shoulder and neck pain

Vickie31 - Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:51 am

I woke up this morning and my right shoulder and neck hurt really bad I can not move them without moving my whole body .Can you please tell me what is the matter.
 drgreghaitz - Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:59 pm

User avatar It sounds like your sleeping position created a muscle spasm. The upper trapezius muscle crosses from the neck over to the shoulder and is often the culpret with this type of pain. There is also the possibility of a facet syndrome. This is a problem with a facet joint in the neck which can cause a significant amount of neck pain, stiffness, and muscle spasm. A well-trained chiropractor could do an examination and provide a nessesary treatment or referal as appropriate. Dr. Haitz

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us