Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Upper Shoulder and neck pain

Vickie31 - Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:51 am

I woke up this morning and my right shoulder and neck hurt really bad I can not move them without moving my whole body .Can you please tell me what is the matter.
 drgreghaitz - Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:59 pm

User avatar It sounds like your sleeping position created a muscle spasm. The upper trapezius muscle crosses from the neck over to the shoulder and is often the culpret with this type of pain. There is also the possibility of a facet syndrome. This is a problem with a facet joint in the neck which can cause a significant amount of neck pain, stiffness, and muscle spasm. A well-trained chiropractor could do an examination and provide a nessesary treatment or referal as appropriate. Dr. Haitz