Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: How serious is a bowed tibia?

 Yarien - Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:48 pm

My 6 year old nephew broke his tibia and fibula in August 3, 2009. For a while we thought he needed surgery because his tibia was displaced but he's doctor in the end came to the conclusion that the fracture would heal with a cast. A couple of months later the cast came off and he was limping for a couple of weeks but it passed, he started to walk normally. Now, 6 months later we took him to get an x ray because he's appointment with the doctor is coming up soon; but when we got the result he's bone has healed up completely but the tibia has a bow. How serious is this bow on his tibia?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:51 am

User avatar Hi,
you have not provided details of the extent & direction of angulation of the tibia.However, i will try to give you a general ouline.

generally accetable reduction consists of:
- > 10 deg of angulation in any plane;
- < 5 deg of varus or valgus;
- < 10 deg of anterior or posterior angulation &
- < 10 deg of rotation.
As i am not aware of the extent of angulation, i can't be perhaps more specific.

Usual indications for operative correction:
- varus deformity of more than 6-10 deg;
- valgus deformity of more than 10-12 deg;
- internal rotation deformity of more than 10-15 deg;
- external rotation deformity more than 15-20 deg &
- shortening of more than 2 cm.
Your orthopedic surgeon will be able to guide you as to whether any surgical intervention may be needed.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us