Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: How serious is a bowed tibia?

Yarien - Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:48 pm

My 6 year old nephew broke his tibia and fibula in August 3, 2009. For a while we thought he needed surgery because his tibia was displaced but he's doctor in the end came to the conclusion that the fracture would heal with a cast. A couple of months later the cast came off and he was limping for a couple of weeks but it passed, he started to walk normally. Now, 6 months later we took him to get an x ray because he's appointment with the doctor is coming up soon; but when we got the result he's bone has healed up completely but the tibia has a bow. How serious is this bow on his tibia?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:51 am

User avatar Hi,
you have not provided details of the extent & direction of angulation of the tibia.However, i will try to give you a general ouline.

generally accetable reduction consists of:
- > 10 deg of angulation in any plane;
- < 5 deg of varus or valgus;
- < 10 deg of anterior or posterior angulation &
- < 10 deg of rotation.
As i am not aware of the extent of angulation, i can't be perhaps more specific.

Usual indications for operative correction:
- varus deformity of more than 6-10 deg;
- valgus deformity of more than 10-12 deg;
- internal rotation deformity of more than 10-15 deg;
- external rotation deformity more than 15-20 deg &
- shortening of more than 2 cm.
Your orthopedic surgeon will be able to guide you as to whether any surgical intervention may be needed.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us