Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Possible Quad Tear

burntrider - Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:38 pm

In a soccer game yesterday, I felt a slight pain in my right thigh after striking the ball for the second time early on in the game. I'm 26 and it was summer league and haven't played in a few years. I was still a bit tight before the game and did my best to stretch before the game, but it wasn't enough. While resting on the couch in between icings, I observed a slight bulge about 4 - 5 inches above the knee. The bulge is about 2 inches wide and 5 - 6 inches long. Above this bulge is a slight depression in the the thigh about 3 - 4 inches in length and can feel other muscle fibers on each side of the depression.

Have I torn the muscle or ruptured the fibers to where I may need surgery? I will gladly disclose any other information needed for further assessments.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:18 am

It is quite possible you have torn the quadricep muscle but probably only partially and likely not requiring surgery.
Conservative treatment will include maintaining range of motion, controlling pain with NSAIDs, and progressing strength as tolerated.
It will take about 6 weeks or more for a partially torn quadricep to heal so easy does it.
Of course, you ought to have a physician or even a athletic training assess this in person for a closer look...but it doesn't sound like a complete tear.