Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers
"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."
Forum Name: Bone infections
Question: Having a toe removed
|problems101 - Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:50 pm|
my mom is 78, is diabetic, lost her right kidney due to artery disease & the stent closing, now she has a sore on the tip of the middle toe on one of her feet. after removing the dead skin the doc said there is a red ring could be caused by arthritis, (that I don't understand) Do to recent tests He said the number show the infection might be in the bone, the other doctor disagrees. They say it's her choice to remove the toe & she asked me. I have no Idea except, my head says as long as it isn't the Big toe, balance isn't an issue.
Do you have any thoughts, or any questions to ask this doctor so we can make a good decision?? She was even told there is no guarentee removing of this toe will solve her problem & I do have a fear that once we start chopping parts off things continue to worsen to the foot & leg.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
|problems101 - Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:21 pm|
Interesting day, Doctors disagreeing & sabatoging other doctors. Mom is scheduled for surgery tomarrow, but she was told by the doctor she needs to stop her plavix & blood thinner for surgery. the infectious doctor changed the orders to start plavix. lucky mom knew the pill & refused to take it. He told her she should try the antibiotic IVs but she'd need to do them at home.
We just signed the papers for the surgery & don't know why this doctor is doing this. I called her family physician & told him, we have 2 doctors with differing opinion & they are working against each other. If he got the bone test could he confirm to us that the infection is in the bone.
Another doctor from the infection doctor's firm talked with mom & she informed him that she had many allergies to medicine plus her stent to her kidney got clogged & killed the kidney, she preferrs that the infection gets out of her body, This doctor agrees, I hope this situation clears itself. I'll know tomarrow if the surgery happens.
|Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:34 am|
Typically if osteomyelitis (bone infection) is suspected, we start IV antibiotics. In the presence of kidney failure, the dose of antibiotics will need to be carefully titrated...usually done by a clinical pharmacist.
Amputation of toes and feet in diabetics unfortunately is a reality for too many people. Having one toe amputated should not significantly impact her gait and ability to do daily activities. Needing a higher amputation will depend on post operative healing and how well she controls the diabetes...and other factors - i.e. quality of blood supply to and from the foot.
Get as much education on the risks and benefits of the treatments options to make the best decision.
|problems101 - Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:07 pm|
Thank you for your post, The toe is off & mom is doing good. She's just got the stitches out & is allowed 15minutes every hour on the foot.
The circulation is good. So he's pleased. Mom's family doctor told me, as he read the report, getting off of the plavix wasn't absolutely necessary, because it was just the toe. I didn't know that when I wrote the first post. I was scared & upset.
during her recovery in the hospital the doctor introduced himself to me as "the trouble maker". I didn't say anything to him. the surgery was over by that time. All he told me was surgeons like to cut things off & he likes to try to save things.
I didn't want to relive it.
So anyway mom's doing Good & since having the toe removed, her blood pressuer & sugar numbers are much better, so maybe the infection was causing these numbers to be high.
Again thanks, I was upset & I just wanted you to know the outcome.
|| Check a doctor's response to similar questions|
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community