Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: sciatica pain then swollen leg

Campbell - Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Recently back from a flight ( 4 days ago ) where I had a terrible pain from my left buttocks down the back of my leg to my left foot and 3 toes numb. Doctor said it was sciatica and was told to keep moving and it will get better . I'm a bit better ,still have numb toes but yesterday had a swollen right lower leg at my shin and even putting socks and shoes made it worse. Is this related to the sciatica or something completely different and if so what could it be ? ( It almost looks like a bite or infection and sore to touch) I've been taking Ibrobrovan. Can you please advise.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:25 am

With a recent long plane ride, you will want to rule out deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
Besides DVT; cellulitis, phlebitits, local reaction to bug bite and heart failure can cause your symptoms.

So certainly, check in with you physician today and have the leg evaluated. With the continued numbness, sciatica is still a consideration but you may have an additional malady.