Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: targon plate repair tofemur

Bridgefanatic - Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:48 am

I fractured my neck of femur on 11.03.2010 and the fracture was repaired in hospital on the next day with a targon plate and screws.This was nearly 16 weeks ago and I am still in dreadful pain sometimes excruciating and cannot operate without pain killers. The repair was done in Exeter but I live in Poole where they don't use these platesbut they have been very helpful and don't want to see me until September. Should I still be in pain or should I give it longer before requesting an MRI scan? thank you M. Williamson
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:44 pm

I would not expect the level of pain you are describing 4 months post fixation.
It would be worthwhile assessing the repair for screw loosening, fracture stability/healing and joint/bone alignment. Also check leg lengths for discrepancies.
Also, consider other sources of the pain - e.g referred from the back.

Plain radiographs would be my first choice of imaging.

In any case, follow up with an orthopaedist for correct assessment.