Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Rolled Ankle Possibly Fractured, or Torn Ligament?

walao - Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:02 pm

I have a history of former sprains and rolls on my ankles, which are already extremely weak due to excessive pronation. About five years ago, in my freshman year of high school, I rolled my left ankle so badly that it tore a ligament. I was able to walk on it, with a limp, about ten minutes later, but it was bruised and painful for weeks on end. When I went to the ER a couple weeks after rolling it, they took an x-ray, but never called us back. I remember the nurse saying that I had an extremely high pain threshold if I was able to walk on that ankle. It went untreated, besides a simple store-bought ankle brace, and it became a lingering pain that had me limping for about a year if I walked too much on it. Even now, I have a habitual limp from it, but my orthopedic had prescribed me a pair of custom arch supports to keep me from hurting myself again, and for a while it was helping, I usually only limp now if I've been on my feet for too long.

Just now, however, not even fifteen minutes ago, I was taking one of my daily walks around the neighborhood and I was about five minutes from home, and of course I was wearing my arch supports, but I guess they don't do much to support the ankle. I must have stepped on a rock or something, because my left ankle suddenly buckled underneath me as I stepped on it and though I didn't hear a crack (I had headphones on), I could FEEL something crack in my ankle, like popping a knuckle. Except harder and more painful. I managed to keep myself from falling, and having a bit of experience with sprains and twists, I limped and took it slow on the way home, careful not to put too much weight on it.

I don't want to have my mom take me to the hospital if I don't have to, but this time is different from the past times I've rolled my ankle. I've never heard or felt it crack before like that, and upon some self-examination, it even seems different from my previous injuries. I still have a small amount of mobility in the ankle for the time being, but it seems like it's getting stiffer by the minute, and I can't move my toes at all.

I've heard that you can't move your ankle or put weight on it at all if it's broken, but I wanted to know if there's a possibility that it could be a fracture, or if it's possible that I could have re-torn that same ligament that I injured before, four years ago. I would really like an expert's opinion on this before going to a doctor, because those visits aren't cheap and I don't want to waste money going if all they're going to tell me is to put some ice on it and call it a day.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:27 am

User avatar Hello,
The pop heard with an ankle sprain does not necessarily mean the ankle bone(s) are fractured. Usually, it is a sprain ...even a severe sprain.
If the ankle is tender or painful when squeezing the leg just above the ankle and/or it hurts to bear weight, then x-rays are indicated.
Play it safe, have it x-ray'd.
For long term rehab of the ankle, see a physical therapist who will teach exercise that may help a future sprain.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us