Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: chondromalcia Patella; treatments

brew - Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:42 pm

What are the best treatments for Chondromalcia Patella? I've tried physical therapy and exercises but it only worsens the pain. It's getting to the point that I can barelly walk without my knees swelling an throbbing with pain. What do I do? Is surgery the next best option?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:31 pm

User avatar Hello,
In severe cases, the patella surface can be resurfaced with a prosthesis or by allograft (osteochondral allograft).

Also, if the lateral retinaculum is tight and causing chronic dislocation or subluxation, a release of this tight tissue can be done.

Otherwise conservative treatment focuses on maintain range of motion, quadricep strength and hamstring length, bracing and NSAIDs (to decrease inflammation).

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us