Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Possible fractured 1st metatarsal?

bluey - Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:58 pm

I do plan on going to the doc if this does not resolve, but I am curious...

This morning, a very heavy laptop was dropped on my foot. The corner of it hit my first metatarsal bone, right behind the big toe joint. After quite a bit of pain it became swollen and bruised/red immediately. The pain has now subsided to a dull ache and I can walk on it without difficulty.

The thing is, I am totally unable to bend this toe now. I can not flex it upward...it's like it is impossible to move. And yet, there is no pain associated with this...when I try to move it, it stays in place...nothing happens at all, and there is no sensation of pain. I can not curl it either. Does this sound like it might be a ruptured tendon? Wouldn't such a thing be a great deal more painful?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:13 am

Usually, a ruptured tendon is the result of over contraction of the it's muscle. Unless, there was a lacerating injury to the depth of the tendon, I doubt the tendon was ruptured.

Swelling and blunt trauma can cause the musculo-tendonous unit to shut off...this is our body's way of protecting the area...(the other way would be spasm).

As you have mentioned, seeing a medical provider for assessment is a good idea.