Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken rib caused pulled ab muscle?

Braap105 - Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:06 pm

So i was riding motocross the other day and took a spill and slammed my left middle side of my ribs. this hurt pretty bad but wasnt to terrible, i got up and rode a bit more but it was definatly hurting and affecting my riding. so i took it easy for a week, then i rode a pedal bike 24 miles 6 days later, that was all good and felt like i was healing and what not, so i rode my dirt bike the next day. was a little sore but nothing to bad/unexpected. then the next day after do relativly nothing, i started get a sharp pain on the underside of my left side middle 6 pack muscle. i have no idea why or whats causeing this. and it really hurts when i stretch out a bit, and or twist my torso. its been like this for the past few days and im not sure what going on. any help would be great. no i am in really good shape, and im only 18 years old. just wondering if i should actually go to the doctor or just take it easy for some time till it feels better?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:02 pm

User avatar Hi,
Although the fall about 2 weeks earlier could have potentially caused rib fractures, your history does not suggest it very much.The pain due to fracture of a rib will usually aggravate on breathing in, or while coughing or sneezing.

You seem to be experiencing pain in the vicinity of the left rectus abdominis muscle(the "six-pack" muscle). One possible explanation for your symptoms is a partial tear of the rectus muscle. This could have been aggravated by by the dirt bike riding or some other activity/posture.

These tears usually are managed non-operatively(rest, analgesics and cold compresses in the acute phase). In some cases, if accompanied by a large hematoma, then they may need an aspiration or open drainage.

It will be safer for you to show it to your family doctor and get treated.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us