Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken Ankle Treatment Question

trey803 - Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm not sure if the hospital I went to is treating me correctly. First off I was thrown around between multiple people and misdiagnosed the first time. I was given an air brace at first and then called the next day and told that they had seen a second fracture and needed to put a cast on.

My question is concerning lovenox. I am 21, 6 foot, and weigh approx 160lbs. I do not want to inject myself and put up with bruising. Is this drug really necessary? Is my risk for DVT high enough that I should be injecting every day? I have not even heard of anyone having to use this drug for this injury before me. Please give me some advice.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
The indications for Lovenox include the treatment of acute deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or the prevention of DVT in a high risk patients (post operative with prolonged immobilzation...and other risk factors- e.g. previous DVT).

Often, when anti-coagulation is needed we start on both Warfarin and Lovenox, when the INR is between 2 and 3, we stop the Lovenox.

So check with your family physician regarding your risk level ...and adjustment of anti coagulant as needed.

Take care.
 trey803 - Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:59 pm

That is the thing, I was told I was not high risk but to take it anyways. No tests were run to asses any risk of clots. Doesn't alcohol thin the blood. I have not been taking the lovenox b/c of the pictures I saw on the internet of the bruising it causes, I do not think I will start taking it either. Couldn't I drink a beer or 2 everyday(Just until the cast comes off) to thin my blood?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us